9.12.2011

Breakfast @ 226 - Breakfast Pizza

Okay, I know what you're thinking. I'm going to make you get out of your Pottery Barn sheets and slip into your sweatpants two hours earlier than normal and make you trudge down your squeaky wood stairs to start some pizza dough for your beloveds. But, there is obviously something you do not know about me. I love sleep. Almost more than I love my beloveds.



Elaborate breakfasts are almost never on the menu. Jason's pancakes serve as our WOW breakfast for the kids. And, I often scurry into the kitchen with my pants on backwards and unwashed Sumo Wrestler like hair on top of my head, quickly throwing together a fruit syrup, just to say that I've contributed. I've honed my scone-making down to a 13 minute process, start-to-finish so that I don't have to get out of bed one minute earlier than normal to make an impressive pastry. There's occasional Purple Sweet Rice at our breakfast table, but more often than not I stick to food that takes fewer than three minutes to prepare if the clock reads any hour earlier than 9 a.m. I save my elaborate cookery for the PM hours, after I've been fueled with caffeine, and other harmless drugs.



So, now that you know this, you know that this breakfast pizza is simple as can be. The idea came to me when I saw leftover broccoli in the fridge. I opened the egg container and saw four sad ovals, begging to be thrown into a hot pan. Really, it took little forethought and next to no effort. The results? Uh, the kids thought they were eating pizza. For breakfast. How could that be bad?



Breakfast Pizza

2 Whole Wheat tortillas
olive oil spray
2 eggs
1 stalk broccoli, steamed and chopped (leftovers work well + more sleep for you!)
Parmigiano Reggiano (white cheddar or gruyere would work well, too)

Turn your oven to 350 degrees. Spray the tortillas with olive oil spray. Place them on a baking sheet, and put them in the oven for about 5-7 minutes. Keep an eye on these, they can burn in a second. You're looking for a little crisp and a little browning, like a faux pizza crust. While the tortillas are browning up, scramble your eggs. Do it whatever way you and your peeps like to eat them.* Make sure you stop a few seconds before they're fully cooked because the eggs will spend a little time in the oven, where they will cook a bit more. A little runny is good.

Retrieve your (undoubtedly perfectly browned) tortilla shells from the oven. Spray the tops again with a bit of olive oil. Scatter the eggs and broccoli evenly over the "pizzas." Finally, grate some Parm over the top of the pizzas. Use the bigger holes on your grater. In this application, if you grated the Parm to powder consistency - it would all but disappear once melted. Put the baking sheet back (with pizzas) into the oven for a few minutes. You're just warming the broccoli and melting the cheese at this point. No more than five minutes or you'll overcook those eggs! Finish the pizzas with a sprinkle of sea salt and a grind or two of pepper. Cut into wedges and serve with extra broccoli or fruit.

*I'm a strictly egg girl. I do not like adding cream, cream cheese or sour cream to my scrambled eggs. It may boost the texture but I think it dilutes the flavor. I mix up my eggs with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and scramble them in a hot pan with a little melted butter.

Finish your pizzas and force someone to take photos of you whilst you make goofy faces. If you don't know how to do this, Reed's an expert. Ask her.

No comments:

Post a Comment