1.23.2013

Snack @ 226 - Chocolate Cookie Dough Bites

I wish I didn't have to admit this to you.  This is not the conversation that I set out to have, but we're having it.  Right Now.  I just brought a small bowl (pictured below) containing three of these bites up into my bedroom so I could 1) photograph them and then 2) sit down to write this post.  I was, of course, planning on returning the Snack Bites to their safe and chilled home in the refrigerator.



Somehow, I got distracted and threw one in my mouth.  It was casual, nobody saw.  Luckily, I had already taken a totally underwhelming picture of them.  That's not to say that I didn't want to take more, better pictures.  "That's not too bad," I thought.  There are still plenty for after-school treats throughout the week.  One less?  No one will even notice.  Not even my major chocolate obsessor whose name starts with a B.  My mind is full of all kinds of denial.  Mostly regarding chocolate and growing credit card debt.

And then, I think you know what happened.  I'm not proud.  I totally set out with pure intentions.  Then there was chocolate and snack and dough.  But, not real dough.  It just tastes like dough in the best, most guiltless way.  The bowl is empty.  But, I didn't have to say that, did I?

Now, as I sit here in a pile of shame and tears the only penance I can think of is to share the recipe with you and hope that you don't have a modicum of self control.  Best of luck to you, friends.

Chocolate Cookie Dough Bites - makes 20-30 bites

2 cups dates, pitted (I use Medjool)
1 teaspoon vanilla
a scant 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3 mounded tablespoons Raw Cacao Powder*
4 tablespoons unsweetened coconut
3/4 cup raw walnuts or pecans or a mixture of the two

Blend all ingredients in the food processor for about 1 and 1/2 minutes, or until mostly smooth.  Take "dough" out, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill in fridge for 1 hour.  When ready, roll "dough" into balls of a snackable size.

*I found my cacao powder at the health foods store.  It is a brand called Navitas Naturals.  If you can't locate cacao powder, unsweetened cocoa will do the trick.



No comments:

Post a Comment